Our body needs several nutrients to function properly such as Vitamin A, B, C, proteins and several others. Each of these is responsible keeping different functions of our body working. In this article I will tell you about the benefits of Vitamin A and which foods contain it.
Vitamin A is a fat-soluble vitamin which is mandatory to keep your skin fresh, your bones and tissues strong, and your vision clear. It also fights against cell damage and works as an antioxidant. There are also several other uses of it. Dr. Sherry Ross, women’s health expert at Providence Saint John’s Health Center in Santa Monica, California, told Live Science “Through its role with cell growth and division, vitamin-A has an important role in the normal formation and maintenance of the heart, lungs, kidneys and other vital organs.
Vitamin-A has 2 types
- Performed Vitamin A
- Pro-vitamin A.
Performed vitamin A, also called retinol, is mostly found in dairy products and meat. Eating eggs, fortified milk, cheese, meat, oil, kidneys and cream can increase the amount of vitamin-A in your body.
The other type Pro-Vitamin A is found in fruits and vegetables. Pumpkin, winter squash, broccoli, dark green leafy vegetables, carrots and apricots are a rich source of pro-vitamin-A. Having a good diet with fair amount of the above mentioned foods can definitely help to fulfill your body’s requirement of Vitamin-A.
Eggs, milk, cheese and salad of vegetables should be consumed daily in moderate amount in order to keep your body healthy and to fulfil all the needs of your body.
According to NLM, vitamin A is necessary for a good vision. Retinol creates pigments in the retina of eye. Deficiency of Vitamin-A can lead to night blindness. According to a study, having a good amount of vitamin-A along with some zinc in our body can protect us again many old age vision related diseases.
Vitamin A also makes the skin glow and heal faster. It also cures acne which can be a nightmare for some people who can’t get rid of it. In fact it is an ingredient in a very well-known ointment used to cure acne and several other skin problems. It can help the skin to grow faster and thus bring fresher skin on top, however if used in high amount it can be very irritating. The formation and maintenance of soft tissues, bones, teeth, white blood cells, mucus membrane and the immune system also depends on vitamin-A. A study by the Department of Internal Medicine at the University of Calgary found that treating mothers with vitamin-A may help to prevent fetal alcohol syndrome.
Protecting cells from free radical damage, beta-carotene also acts as an antioxidant. Unlike several other anti-oxidants, there is no evidence that beta-carotene prevents cancer according to the National Cancer Institute but all natural beta-carotene that are found in fruits and vegetables are found to be cancer preventive in many studies.
The Top 15 Vitamins For Women
1. Vitamin A
Vitamin A is known to have many beneficial properties for women.
• Vitamin A has anti oxidant properties
• This vitamin helps to rebuild and strengthen the bones, skin, soft tissues, teeth and mucous membranes
• Eye sight is improved
• Aging process is slowed down
• Immune system is boosted
Fruits and vegetables rich in vitamin A are:
• Whole eggs
• Red peppers
• Fortified cereals
These amongst others should be made a part of one’s daily or weekly diet.
This vitamin is a fat soluble vitamin that is obtained mainly from sunlight as well as certain types of food items like:
• Fatty fish
• It is known to activate calcium and phosphorus which are the minerals required to keep the bone strong
• The risk of multiple sclerosis is reduced
• Cancer, rheumatoid arthritis and other ailments like depression are resolved by stepping up the dosage of vitamin D
• It is known to reduce the symptoms of PMS
One should increase their exposure to the sunlight daily in order to prevent bone diseases like osteoporosis.
3. Vitamin K
This vitamin is known to play a major role in the human body in different ways.
• It will help to promote strong bones
• It helps to maintain normal blood clotting function in people
• It helps to reduce the risk of different kinds of heart disease
• It is known to help fortify the immune system as well as provide energy
The main sources of vitamin K are:
• Green, leafy vegetables
• Soybean oil
• Fish oil
• Whole grain food products
As one ages, vitamin K is necessary in maintaining the bone health as well as normal blood functions.
4. Vitamin B6
Vitamin B6 is also known as pyridoxine and it is known to promote many vital functions of the body:
• It helps one to enjoy a healthy immune system
• It helps to produce particular hormones and brain chemicals which in turn can help reduce depression, memory loss and heart diseases
• It can even help to maintain the blood sugar levels
• Pregnant women need to have vitamin B6 whose lack of presence can lead to anemia and morning sickness
There are many food groups that one can take up to increase the level of this vitamin in their system:
• Fortified cereals
5. Vitamin E
Vitamin E is known to contain many beneficial properties for the human system, especially for women.
• This vitamin helps to promote anti aging properties which is of great benefit for women
• It can help to fight cell damage that is related to aging
• It can even prevent heart disease
• It can prevent the formation of cataracts
• Other benefits are prevention of memory loss and certain cancers
If one takes up food rich in this vitamin they will be able to enjoy healthy skin and hair. It is included in most skin and hair care products. The main food items that are rich in vitamin E are:
• Corn oil
• Cod liver oil
• Sunflower seeds
6. Vitamin B12
It is essential that women consume food products that are rich in vitamin B12 as it aids many of the functions in the body.
• It is important for the metabolism process
• It helps the normal cell division process
• It aids in preventing memory loss
• It can help normal nerve and brain functions to occur
• Deficiency of the vitamin can lead to depression, confusion and irritability as well as mouth and tongue inflammations
It is best to incorporate the following food items in one’s diet to ensure that this vitamin is taken in right proportions:
7. Vitamin C
Most women are aware of the benefits of vitamin C and its sources as it helps to boost the immunity levels. There are many health benefits as well that this vitamin provides.
• It fastens up the healing process
• Promotes the growth of tissues
• Reduces the risk of cancer
• Reduces the risk of heart diseases
• It also plays a key role in the red blood cell formation process
There are many vitamin C enriched fruits and vegetables:
• Grape fruit
This vitamin is known to be a great friend to maintaining a healthy system in women.
• It helps to prevent heart diseases
• Reduces high blood pressure
• Can help to counter depression and Alzheimer’s
• Memory loss and cancer is also prevented
• Fetal development and fertility is promoted in women by this vitamin
One can gain this vitamin in the following food items:
• Dark green and leafy vegetables
• Orange juice
9. Vitamin B7
Vitamin B7 is known to help synthesize many important nutrients in the system.
• It can help in the formation of glucose and fatty acids
• The vitamin keeps the hair, skin and sweat glands healthy
• Normal cholesterol levels are maintained as well as bone growth and bone marrow
• With high levels of this vitamin one can keep aside problems like high cholesterol levels, depression and anemia
Some food items that are best sources of vitamin B7:
• Egg yolks
• Brown rice
• Yellow fruits
10. Vitamin B2
Vitamin B2 is known to offer the following benefits.
• It is essential for maintaining good health
• It ensures normal growth as well as normal metabolism process
• It will help one to get adequate energy
• It helps to strengthen the immune system
• The tingling or numbness that is felt by diabetic people can be reduced by this vitamin
• The reduction of fatigue, stress and anxiety is possible with this vitamin
• One can increase the dosage of this vitamin in order to prevent wrinkles, mouth ulcers, sore throat, itchy skin and other symptoms
Foods that are rich in vitamin B2 are:
• Organ meat
• Leafy vegetables
• Soy bean
11. Vitamin B3
Vitamin B3 is also known as niacin. It is known to have many beneficial properties.
• It can help women look younger due to its anti ageing properties
• It helps aging women increase the ability of their skin to retain moisture
• There is an effective barrier that is set up against bacteria, viruses and other antigens
• It helps to increase the good cholesterol levels and lowers the triglycerides or the fats in the blood
• If skin is inflamed, the hydration levels are boosted by this vitamin in order to reduce redness
It is often found in serums, creams and lotions.
Thiamine or vitamin B1 is part of an enzyme that is required for many functions.
• It helps the enzyme to boost energy metabolism effectively
• It is vital for the nervous system to function effectively
It is found in the following food items in small or moderate amounts:
• Whole grain food
13. Pantothenic acid
This is a vitamin that is not mentioned frequently but it has its own unique role to play.
• It helps in the proper functioning of several enzymes
• It ensures the proper metabolism of the food in the system for energy release
This vitamin too has a vital role to play in the human system.
• It forms the essential part of many enzymes
• It helps to ensure that the energy metabolism process is going fine.
This has several functions in the human body.
• Helps in the DNA formation process
• Creation of new cells
• Creation of new blood cells
This vitamin is found in the following food products:
• Green and leafy vegetables
• Orange juice
• Refined grains
As a woman do you worry about your health? Not only is the right diet a key to younger looking skin and hair, it will also help to ensure that you stave off various ailments and diseases.